However much you love your job, even the most enthusiastic among us, will occasionally experience a lull in their motivation.
Cassidy Education recommends these 6 things to keep you focused and your performance levels high, even when your motivation levels are low:
1. Make a ‘to-do’ list: When things seem to be getting on top of you, a great way to stay focused is to write your tasks down. That way you can cross them off as you go along, tracking what has been done, giving you a regular a sense of achievement each time you check off one of those tasks.
2. Take regular short breaks: If it’s been a difficult and stressful morning or afternoon, take a moment to yourself – a quick walk outside, or a cup of tea can make a big difference when things get a little too much. Taking a little bit of time to yourself when things get a bit stressful can really help you to refocus your efforts when you do return to your desk.
3. Turn off your gadgets: Text messages and emails can be extremely distracting during your working day. If you have an important task you simply ‘must-do’, it can really break your concentration to have messages and email notifications popping up every few minutes, so turn off your phone and ignore your inbox for an hour and focus on your task.
4. Be clutter free: A messy, untidy desk or office can really affect your motivation levels, it is surprising how a well organised desk can affect your self esteem and increase motivation – give it a try!
5. Grab someone else’s energy: Every workplace has a person who always has a smile on their face and a friendly word to say. Take the time to chat with them or anyone you feel is dynamic, driven and can offer you some friendly words of encouragement.
6. Focus on your goal: This is crucial for keeping your mind focused on what you’re doing and (more importantly) why. It doesn’t matter what project you’re working, if you don’t have a clear idea of what success looks like, how will you know when you have hit it? Try creating a vision board (or just jot down in a notebook) that includes your personal and work goals.
There is no doubt it is hard to stay focused, and everyone experiences dips in their motivation levels at some stage in their career life, the doers in life confront this head on. How do you stay motivated at work?