There are many schools out there that need supply teachers covering any unforeseen circumstances that happen before a school day starts. More often than not, new teachers are unclear about the concept of supply work, so let’s look at some guidelines for making your supply position fruitful and enjoyable.
Okay, so let’s focus on how you can enrich your career as a supply teacher and enjoy its challenges (different school most times is a big one) and its perks (networking opportunities).
Although not the ten commandments, we think we have covered the major ones, so feel free to add your own tips and suggestions in the comments section below.
- Figure out if the planning is preset for you. Did the teacher provide a lesson plan or just an outline? Do you need to bring your own resources? Should you take a laptop? Try to find answers to these questions before your day starts, it’ll help you prepare and organise your day.
- Introduce yourself. You are new to the school and temporary and most likely will not know where and who to go to for certain things. Interacting with other teachers will go a long way towards making a great impression (top tip: don’t forget the caretaker, they’ll knows where everything is).
- Learn their routine. Remember this tip: The start of the day is crucial for children and will often dictate how the day will go. Try to be aware of the usual daily routine as children are reassured when those routines aren’t changed even if you are in charge.
- Show an interest in the pupils. When taking over someone’s class whether it is for a day or two or a term, try to find out who has particular needs, this will help you (and them) prepare for the change in the classroom and make the disruption less difficult.
- Go the extra mile. However temporary, you must do your best, you’ll get much more from the experience if you put in the extra effort. When schools recognise a hardworking teacher (or an assistant for that matter), they’ll often request you again or even make the role permanent. Whatever happens, a good relationship with a school never hurts.
Being a supply teacher is not easy – but trust us when we say it is rewarding. Cassidy Education can give you a great start in your career. If you are interested in taking control of your career and future opportunities, don’t hesitate to contact us here or use the form below.